Friday, June 01, 2007

Book Review: Famine in the Land

In my on-going quest for good solid reading material as it relates to Christian ministry, I go to a number of the BLOGS that I have bookmarked just to see what is being recommended to pastors. A few months ago I came across a title that really intrigued me given the paucity of solid expositional preaching in the pulpit today. The book is entitled, “Famine in the Land” by Dr. Steven Lawson. I went to Amazon and read the three reviews that had been given and was much impressed; so much so in fact that I ordered the book. It arrived and I read it within a couple of days. At first I thought that I had ordered the wrong book, but no it was the correct one. I was somewhat disappointed in what I found, and when asked by Amazon to do a review, I rather agonized over it for a couple of days since I knew what I had to say would not be in keeping with the other reviewers. Still, I proceeded and what you will find below is my first ever review of a book of any kind. If someone else comes across this small volume, reads it and finds my review too harsh, please let me know.

Some time ago I preached a message based on the prophet Micaiah’s experience with King Jehoshaphat in I Kings 22 wherein this monarch, in attempting to bring the King of Israel into a military alliance against a common enemy, held a great banquet wherein the false prophets (all 400 of them) were summoned to give their “advice” in going to war. In one accord they all agreed that such a venture could not help but know success. The king of Israel however, insisted on having the prophecy of one more prophet, and so Micaiah was summoned though Jehoshaphat was against it knowing that this man would prophecy only the truth.

On a number of occasions over the past few years I have been placed in Micaiah’s position though never to bring forth truth against error, but simply as one that takes a different point of view. I do that not for controversy’s sake, but because I sense that something in the very able opinion of others is perhaps lacking.

As a pastor seeking our Sovereign Lord’s direction back into full time pastoral ministry, I am ever on the outlook for books that will bring me encouragement in the essential matter of expository preaching. This is a discipline that is sorely lacking in the pulpit of our present day. Hence when I came across our brother Lawson’s book and read the reviews here on Amazon, I very much looked forward to having it as a valuable contribution to my modest library. I received the book within a few days of ordering it.

My first thought, given that it was a hard back, was that it was quite short. In fact it was even shorter than I had first imagined. It’s listed at 128 pages but when the blank pages are eliminated, and the mountainous footnotes are taken away, there are but 89 pages of script left. Further, the font size is unusually large for a book that measures barely six by eight inches.

Brother Challies (a fellow Canuck whom I respect very much) mentioned in his review that there are a great many quotes in the book. Indeed true, in fact, there are so many quotes that the author’s actual contribution is greatly minimized. Hardly a page goes by that there are one and sometimes more quotes of a great many authors. Of course what all these are saying is very true, but one is left from time to time wondering what the author of this book actually has to say for his original material is actually at a bare minimum.

The one area that did rather bother me, however, was his use of Jonah as an example of a compelling preacher of the Word. Like many preachers, I have preached through the book of Jonah on more than one occasion, and I hardly find him a heightened sample of, in our author’s words, a “courageous, compelling, confrontational, compassionate” preacher. In the first place he did everything in his power to avoid following the divine directive that he was given. That cost him. Then when he did make it to Ninevah, the message he delivered was as brief as he could make it, and somehow I’ve always gotten the feeling from the text that he delivered it as quickly as possible to get the whole thing behind him. I see very little courage in the man; his compelling message was that of Almighty God; his confrontation was as brief as possible; and as for compassionate, well I’m certain that chapter four, verse one tells it better than anything else, for when at the message the city repented of its evil and God turned from destroying them, we read: “…it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry”. This is compassion??

What Jonah best teaches is the absolutely sovereignty of God, not the effective preaching of a reluctant servant.

Now, please do not think that I am attempting to put our brother down for his attempt to bring forth a much needed book on a subject that we as preachers need to hear more about. I would say rather that I am just disappointed in having very little to read of what this dear brother is saying, for he, on a personal level really has very little to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Post Comments: